Invitation to tender for the Evaluation of the Balgaddy Child & Family Centre
The Balgaddy Child & Family Centre (BCFC) is a centre in the heart of Balgaddy in West Dublin that provides a range of universal and targeted services and development opportunities that address the needs of local families.
BCFC has been in operation for 10 years with the opening of a community childcare facility in 2012 and the Child & Family Centre official opening in 2013. In these 10 years, the centre has gone on to develop a range of high quality programmes for children, families and the community. The centre aims to support parents and the community as they create a warm, supportive and secure space for children to grow, develop and flourish in.
South Dublin County Partnership
South Dublin County Partnership (SDCP), is a local development company that aims to tackle poverty and social exclusion, focusing on the most vulnerable groups. SDCP provides governance, oversight and management of the BCFC. SDCP is embedded in the practice of community development, both as an area of work and an approach to engaging with people and groups. Our approach to this work are underpinned and informed by a strong commitment to social justice and equality and an explicit value-base.
The BCFC operates a unique model that delivers a local, intensive family support programme which is enhanced by additional supports and programmes provided by the Partnership, including its expertise and best practices when it comes to governance. SDCP is uniquely placed within county structures to ensure that the centre is well served on all elements of family support which is strengthened by the formation of a Children & Families sub-committee of the SDCP board which has representation and support from the following organisations: Tusla, CYPSC, Barnardos, DDLETB, CDI, Blue Skies, & the South Dublin County Childcare Committee. SDCP is committed to ensure that the centre will grow and develop in line with best outcomes for Children and Families.
SDCP has invested significantly in the BCFC. They are uniquely placed to leverage the wide-ranging supports that a Family Centre requires including lifelong learning, adult education, children and families, health and wellbeing or employment supports. The centre is part-funded through Tusla’s family resource centre funding stream and through SICAP (Social Inclusion Community Activation Programme). Continued annual funding under Tusla’s FRC funding stream allows us to build the existing work and to ensure the long-term viability of the Centre and its services.
Balgaddy is an area in West Dublin between Clondalkin and Lucan has been identified as a community of concern as it has been facing social exclusion as a consequence of people suffering unemployment, poor skills, low incomes, poor housing, high crime, family breakdown, addiction and more recently mental health struggles.
In 2022, the Children & Families team developed the first ever SDCP Children & Families strategy for 2023-2025, including aims, vision, mission, values, and objectives. The BCFC typically engages over 100 families weekly through the following services:
- Providing family support services, including family mornings, a weekly drop in service, one to one support, and various evidence-based programmes such as the Incredible Years Dina and NVR.
- The provision of information, advice and support to target groups and families.
- Referral agents for onward referrals to main stream service providers and specialised and more targeted services.
- Delivering education courses and training opportunities.
- Support of new community groups through our community development team to meet local needs
- Delivery of needed services at local level (for example, childcare facilities, after-school clubs, women’s groups, etc.)
- The provision of counselling and support to individuals and groups.
- Supporting personal and group development.
- Practical assistance to individuals and community groups such as access to information technology and office facilities
- Programmes for children and young people, including Coding, Coding for children with additional needs, after-school activities such as Lego, igniting Sparks and Jedi Fitness
- Provide Easter, Summer and Halloween camps for children form the area
- Access to external organisations and mainstream services such as Public Health Nurse clinics, Blue Skies baby programmes and Saoirse DV services.
To independently evaluate the development, impact, and outcomes of the Balgaddy Child & Family Centre by investigating the following questions:
- Is the model we operate effective?
- Is there a benefit of having Partnership involvement?
- Is our model of family support effective?
- Are we meeting our funders reporting requirements?
- Are our impact measurement tools effective?
It is envisaged that this work will involve
- Brief desk review
- Consult with key stakeholders including the SDCP Balgaddy team, family support team, Children & Families sub-committee of SDCP board, funders, childcare service manager, external stakeholders, service users and local community
- To consult with the Children & Families manager & SDCP CEO as required
- At the end of the project, to make recommendations on the future and / or adaptation, of this frontline child and family centre.
We are seeking a qualified individual or organisation that can demonstrate competence and experience in the following:
- Proven experience on similar projects
- Experience of producing high quality research within a community development or children and families work context
- Experience in managing complex multi stakeholder projects.
- Delivering on projects within an agreed timeframe
- An understanding of poverty, disadvantage, trauma, substance misuse and their impact on communities, particularly families
- An understanding of the importance of confidentiality
We are keen to start the evaluation process as soon as possible but are open to having conversations with interested parties as to how such a timeframe can be meaningfully structured, maximising the resources and time between now and October 2023.
The person / or organisation will report to the Children & Families manager on a regular basis.
Tenders are requested from appropriately qualified and experienced individuals / organisations and should include all the following:
- Details of qualifications and experience of all workers involved in project.
- Details of previous work undertaken including relevant experience and knowledge.
- Proposed process to meet the key objectives. This would include a breakdown of days or more likely hours committed to project with clear description of milestones with proposed dates including cost per day per consultant
- Details of two referees
- Details of any current or recent piece of work of a similar project.
- Any other relevant information in support of proposal.
- Rate per day per consultant
- Tax Clearance
- Indemnified Insurance
The decision to award this contract will be based on submissions received from those who fulfil the criteria under the headings above for ‘Candidate Specification’ and elements of ‘Submissions.’
Any potential conflict of interest and/or loyalty must be clearly stated in the submission.
A review group will be responsible for the selection of the appropriate person for this task. This may include an interview and a presentation if deemed necessary for the selection of the best candidate. They will look closely at:
- The candidate or organisation that best meets the candidate specification.
- Overall quality and feasibility of the proposal.
- Cost and value for money.
- Skill, expertise, and experience of the consultant.
- Ability to work within the required timeframe.
- Ability to commit to completing a clear and well-argued report, by end of October 2023
Tenders should be priced inclusive of all service charges and VAT.
Budget for this evaluation circa €5,000
Closing date for applications: 5pm on Friday July 14th2023
Application process: Completed Tender should be submitted in a sealed envelope marked:
Invite to Tender Balgaddy Evaluation Ref 97/2023 to the Administration Department – South Dublin County Partnership, Nangor Road Business Park, Nangor Road, Dublin 12 or sent electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org
For any queries please contact Patricia McCann by email : email@example.com
JOB TITLE: Invitation to tender for the Evaluation of the Balgaddy Child & Family Centre
Closing date for receipt of applications is 14th July 2023